December 11, 2013

Fleamarkets and I finally found IT!

Weekends are perfect for wandering around fleamarkets and hoping to be lucky in finding THAT special item.
And I was very lucky and found myself THAT special thing. I had wanted one of THESE for such a long time. I kept bookmarking IT on ebay and Etsy, but somehow it never felt right. But then on a small shelf on the Hells Kitchen flea market I saw IT: 
An old school viewmaster! 
The very nice gentleman even reduced the price (I'm no good in negotiating prices!) and threw in some reels. How could I not buy it?
It works perfectly and I'm thrilled to have a souvenir from New York that I really wanted. 
Now I can say: Oh, you know, I bought it on the Hells Kitchen fleamarket, in New York! No biggie. 


In New York I spend one chilly Sunday on not one, not two, but three different fleamarkets. I was all over Manhattan!

1. Hells Kitchen Fleamarket: Very vintage. Dresses, coats, jewelry, cameras and much more. Located on West 39th, between 9th & 10th Avenues. Every Saturday and Sunday, 9am-5pm. 

My favorite thing to look at on fleamarkets has always been old photographs and postcards that people have written to loved ones. I can spend hours on this alone!



2. The Antiques Garage: it is indeed a parking garage on two floors. Here you can buy vintage art, jewelry, fine silver, household appliances and clothes. Find it on 12 West 25th Street, between 6th and 7th Avenues, open every weekend 9am-5pm.  





3. Green Flea on Columbus Avenue: a great mix of new and vintage. Each week they have different vendors, so you always get to see new stuff. You find a lot of carpets, fabrics and silverware. But also vendors that sell diy jewelery. 
It is on school grounds and fenced in. Part of the fleamarket of it is actually inside the school. Perfect when it starts to rain, which it did on my day. Located between West 76th/77th Streets on Sundays, 9am-5pm.










1 comment :

Accelerated Stall said...

Some sweet finds, some crazy finds, but one thing you definitely found was a good time. :-)